TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

"naughty" housing court judge

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

"naughty" housing court judge

Postby quenepa » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:13 pm

can some one recomend me an organization that works with the problem of housing court judges who abuse their power and act as lawyer for the landlord (literally)?

i never saw the judge assigned to my landlord' summary procedure face to face. i was never allowed to respond to the landlord's petition, i was coerced into signing a stipulation where i was to pay over four thousand dollars or be evicted the next next day
despite expressing to the judge representative (court clerck) that i was not in agreement with it

i was brought to housing court by my landlord for non payment of rent. his petition was riddled with lies: the apartment was not registered with dhcr, i did not have a lease as he claimed in the petition( no lease, no summary judgment, isn't true?), and other errors.

i asked the court clerck to let me see the judge to express these errors and to petition a trial.

in almost three months of postponements i finally comitted a mistake: was unaware that the date of the next appereance had been changed. immediately i got an eviction notice for failure to appear in court.

well, the judge refused to grant me a stay, not face-to-face. it was all done through the court clerk. of course, i coughed up over four thousand dollards which i did not owe and for which there was no explanation in the stipulation as to for which period i was being charged.

i still can't believe that this happened to me!!!

any suggestions any one?
quenepa

Postby Palombella » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:12 pm

I f you say that you don`t have a lease how can the landlord get money from you?
do you have a month to month tenancy?
is it a stabilized -rent apt or rent control or what?
Before saying anything it would be better if you get these points clear

it is just for better advice

Thanks
Palombella

Return to Housing Court - NYC