TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Witnesses coming out of the woodwork

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Witnesses coming out of the woodwork

Postby shirts and shoes » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:18 am

I'm in a trial right now. Does anyone know the laws on this one? The LL gave a witness list orally in court a long time ago and all of a sudden new surprise witnesses are popping up. Don't I have a right to know who will be testifying? My attorney says it is at the discretion of the judge. Does anyone know the laws on this one?
shirts and shoes

Postby TenantNet » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:50 am

It probably is at the discretion of the judge, but your attorney ought to be objecting (but that depends on your strategy on your trial). At least ask your atty for an explanation if he's not objecting.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby shirts and shoes » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:19 pm

Yes, he objected and now my LL has a long period of time to try and "convince" other witnesses to come to court. He has a lot of money. I have been back and forth to court for over 2 years now. I don't understand why the LL doesn't have his witness list together by now.

Why is it that it seems perfectly ok NOT to serve papers on people? All we get is a little post card from the court house? In Chicago, a government marshall serves papers for court, not privately licensed process servers. I could certainly bring down 2 process servers for repeatedly sitting at home and claiming they served papers.

Here are a couple of my favorite advice lines from people:

"Why don't you move?"

"Well, your LL hasn't hit you over the head has he? No one cares unless he physically hurts you."

What happened to neighbors sticking together? Well, I guess it's the greed. For all of you who went on the rent strike in the Bronx's Co-op City during the 70s - you had guts to stick together. I wish you lived in my building.
shirts and shoes

Return to Housing Court - NYC