TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Court records

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Court records

Postby BronxRenter » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:48 pm

Can anyone here tell me how I can get copies of the actual court documents in a past eviction case?

I know it's public information, but if I appear in person at the court, can I search records by respondanats last name and acquire these documents?

I am doing research on a criminal case, and I need to be able to prove that this individual was evicted twice previously.

Is there a service where I can pay for this?
BronxRenter

Re: Court records

Postby Anna » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:14 pm

Yes.

for NYC:
Go to Housing Court in the borough they lived in. Look up tenant as respondent in computer.
Fill out yellow card.
If case was fairly recent (3 years?), file will be there; if older, they will get file from storage in a week or two.
Photocopy the whole thing.
Some boroughs (not Manhattan) let you print out the computer info.

If not in Housing Court computer, go to Civil Court or Supreme Court (for ejectments: evictions when summary proceedings are available to LL for various reasons, like illegal apt).
Repeat.
Anna

Postby shirts and shoes » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:10 pm

Hi,

For criminal records you need to go to the Supreme Court. If the case is old, you may have to wait for it to arrive, but you can also (and should) get a "certificate of disposition indictment" from the supreme court - you will probably have to go to the criminal court clerk to find out where to get it. Make sure it is certified and I think the cost is $10. If your person you are researching served time in jail, you can also look him/her up at the nys dept of corrections website. You will still need to get the certified copy of the disposition.

http://nysdocslookup.docs.state.ny.us/kinqw00

Also, you can ask the judge to request the file to come to the court room.
shirts and shoes

Postby shirts and shoes » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:00 pm

Oh, sorry Phil, I misread your post - yes Anna is correct about the research above - Manhattan Housing Court has it's computer for searches on the 2nd floor. Brooklyn has it on the second floor, but it's hidden in the attorney only area. When you get off the elevator go right to the end and then left. I haven't gone to the other Boroughs, but every nys court house is supposed to have public access for searches. I'm leaving my previous post for folks looking for criminal records. Good luck.
shirts and shoes

Postby luckyredpr » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:04 pm

What is the procedure for getting court transcripts from Housing Court?

Thank you.
luckyredpr

Postby Anna » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:04 am

Anna

Return to Housing Court - NYC