TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Need a few hours with a contractor

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Need a few hours with a contractor

Postby Pandyon » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:26 pm

First let me say I do NOT need an estimate. I'm in the final stages of a very large overcharge case. I don't want to go into all of the details, and my lawyer has got everything covered.

However, I need a licensed contractor to come into my apartment, sit with me and the bills, and go through every item I've been charged for. I'm not talking about labor, or estimates. I need exact items accounted for or disputed. I've been through the entire apartment already and have a spreadsheet comparing the materials I was charged for and what is actually in the apartment.

Two examples. First, I have a two bathroom apartment with two new toilets. In the landlord's renovation bills, he charges me for three toilets. As ludicrous as it sounds, I need a licensed contractor to depose that there are only two toilets in the apartment. Second, I have been charged for over 300 small pieces of plumbing. I have gone through and noted every piece of new plumbing in the apartment. I need the contractor to go through these items and agree or disagree that they are there. I absolutely need specifics. Not general estimates. Finally, I need this contractor to examine another apartment in my building that was renovated at the same time by the same people to give an expert opinion if the work in both apartments is equitable in cost and quality.

Appreciate any help on this. Contractors I've called so far only want to give estimates.

Thanks,

Mark
Pandyon

Re: Need a few hours with a contractor

Postby Cranky Tenant » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:38 pm

As NY Hawk said in a previous post

try this guy...........Joel Teicher, P.E.
NYC Tenants' Engineer
Ulster Professional Engineering
212-741-3606 Telephone
509-356-8686 24hr Fax
www.TenantEngineer.com
JT@tenantengineer.com
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby homeowner2005 » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:28 pm

btw... you should videotape a tour of the apartment.. showing two bathrooms and all the plumbing and all....
homeowner2005

Postby NYHawk » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:31 pm

I used joel teicher for a case, he knows his stuff, and is very helpful, and he has been qualified as an expert many times
NYHawk

Postby joliett » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:54 am

Hello and thanks to NYHawk, and Cranky Tenant for their knowledge and proficiency in tenant's rights. I try to be very helpful, and as NYHawk has stated I have been qualified as an expert by the NY Courts and the NY Education Department many times. So I can say to Mark, that a contractor, licensed or not, will not be able to help you in this case. BUT, a licensed PE engineer (with a good attorney), can possibly turn your nightmare, into a dream...We have all given you some free EXPERT advise here...what you do with it is up to you...good luck in your qwest.
Joel Teicher, P.E.
www.TenantEngineer.com
joliett

Return to Housing Court - NYC