TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Would ceiling thumper irritate noisy upstairs neighbor?

Moderator: TenantNet

Would ceiling thumper irritate noisy upstairs neighbor?

Postby Dsg1116 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:14 pm

Link to thumper: https://youtube.com/shorts/BxaEnsDM4zI?feature=share

I have an upstairs neighbor, she rents and I own. I’ve approached her directly before when I found she was noisy and she seemed apologetic at first but continued to be noisy. Had people over late, they talked/played music, has a heavy foot etc. I’ve gotten officers and the HOA involved after she chose to turn the other cheek.

To retaliate, I bought a ceiling thumper and have started slamming my front door every time I go outside. Today, I go to walk my dog and she confronts me while my dog is peeing outside. She stands on her steps, perched over asking if I can stop slamming my door because it’s loud. It makes the building shake when I slam. She doesn’t even give me time to talk, I look at her and laugh, then closes her door. When I come in, I slam the door again.

I plan to stop slamming my door moving forward but she continues to be loud. She confronts me about something trivial like “slamming doors” but I have the thumper cranked up and she hasn’t said anything yet. Carpet floors
Dsg1116

Re: Would ceiling thumper irritate noisy upstairs neighbor?

Postby TenantNet » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:18 pm

An interesting thought, but a thumper could get you into trouble as it's a sign of intentional harassment (besides, you said, "to retaliate."). Noise is a difficult issue anywhere as it's essentially tenant vs. tenant and a he said-she said situation. Better to lodge complaints with the landlord. Do not know what HOA is.

BTW, please don't post the same thing in multiple forums; once is enough.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Dsg1116 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:32 pm

TenantNet wrote:An interesting thought, but a thumper could get you into trouble as it's a sign of intentional harassment. Noise is a difficult issue anywhere as it's essentially tenant vs. tenant and a he said -she said situation. Better to lodge complaints with the landlord. Do not know what HOA is.

BTW, please don't post the same thing in multiple forums; once is enough.

HOA is the homeowner association. They’re condos so some are owned and rented out. I own and the tenant rents from another owner
Dsg1116

Postby ErikS37 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:44 pm

You really have a nasty arrogance about you proclaiming again and again that you own and the tenant you have an issue with rents.

You should be sued in court for harassment. Using a device specifically designed to harass your neighbor and shamelessly bragging about it on the internet. You clearly hate renters and are open about it.
ErikS37

Postby TenantNet » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:27 pm

Well, that's why we suggested the posted not use such a device.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York