TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Various Questions (this is a long one)

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Various Questions (this is a long one)

Postby joelzenny@earthlink.net » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:36 pm

Hello,

The first set of questions have to do with a Mitchell-Lama building buyout: I am currently in a former Mitchell-Lama apartment building. I rent a studio. The owner decided to buy out of the program in October of 2003. Since then, there has been very spotty info on what his next move will be. From what I know, since the building was built before 1973, the current tenants will fall under rent stabilization laws. Question(s): What are his obligations to keep us informed of his plans now that he is no longer bound by the Mitchell-Lama program? Can the landlord start charging market rate rent off the bat, or does he have to adhere to the legal limit (4-7%) yearly increase? Can he kick the current tenants out? Can my girlfriend move into my place without my being charged extra rent?

In addition, my girlfriend has to break the lease on her apartment. I think I read something a while ago that after giving 30 or 60 days notice, the landlord is equally responsible for trying to find a tenant "in good faith." From what she tells me, the landlord has done NOTHING to try and find another tenant for her apartment. Question: how long would she have to legally pay rent on her apartment if no tenant is found? Does she have any other options?

Thank you. Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Joel

<small>[ January 13, 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: joelzenny@earthlink.net ]</small>
joelzenny@earthlink.net

Return to NYC General Discussion