TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Right to install Air Conditioner in SRO room?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Right to install Air Conditioner in SRO room?

Postby I.M. Losingit » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:37 pm

Between the cigarette smoke from my neighbors, the noise from the street and the heat/humidity, I'm seriously considering installing a small AC unit in my tiny SRO room's window. I'm one of the lucky few with a window where I live. I've searched through the archives of tenant.net, but haven't really found much info that addresses my unusual situation.
I don't have a lease, I don't think anyone does, but I do know that we have the same protections as other NYC rent-stabilized tenants, that is according to various attorneys I've dealt with in the past.
The wiring could be better here.
My upstairs neighbor who also has a window just installed a tiny unit in HIS room. He sent a note to the BO/LL offering to pay an extra fee per month during the summer to cover electricity. No reply yet, nor any protest...and the BO/LL was around most of the day.

If the BO/LL "allows" this tenant to do this, does that "legally open the door" for me to do the same?
For purposes of this question,
"Allows" = "Doesn't specificall object".
What happens if the building's circuit breakers start tripping regularly, AFTER I've installed my unit?

I realize this is a difficult issue and just wanted to remind board regulars that:
1) LL is a slumlord and there are multiple violations of of all kinds here, and
2) the LL does not even attempt to enforce the Health Department and FDNY rules against smoking here in this open-top cubicle situation.
3) BedBugs run this joint and LL has never, ever addressed THAT problem.
You get the idea.
--I.M. Losingit
Moving out is NOT possible at this time. Fighting for my rights is my ONLY option. Please respect & understand my situation.
I.M. Losingit

Return to NYC General Discussion