Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: landlord liable if contractor has no insurance to tenants personal property?

Posted by Mary on June 30, 1997 at 00:01:21:

In Reply to: landlord liable if contractor has no insurance to tenants personal property? posted by Teresa on June 24, 1997 at 20:14:45:

With a $30,000 car I'm sure you can afford renter's insurance.

An property owner's home insurance is for items such as someone falling on a cracked sidewalk, theft of the OWNER's possessions, damage caused to the structure by a fire or maybe a flood, damage to the OWNER's possessions from a fire (if owner occupied or maybe owner stores things in the attic or cellar). Home owners insurance is not to cover a renter's possessions. Gosh, if it did, could you imagine a retiree with a two family home living an a meager social security payment each month. The owner has a tenant who wallowing in money, owns a fur coat, fine china and silver, maybe some jewels, and a hotsy-totsy $30,000 car. The tenant thinks that the landlord must pay insurance to cover the riches of the tenant who can afford a $30,000 car but doesn't want to shell out money for renter's insurance. Check with insurance companies. They offer renter's insurace to be paid for by the renter. When a renter chooses to own lavish expensive things, then a landlord should not foot the bill for insurance for his'her tenants.

I am a tenant and have been for 21 years. 21 years ago I got myself a renter's insurance policy and have maintained one ever since. My best advice to tenants is to go and get insurance.

As for question the poster asked? Why don't YOU take the contractor to small claims court. You could have a good case. If you win, you shouldn't have too hard of a time to collect and you can always get an information subpoena to find out what banks, etc. the contractor has money/savings/investments in. It's a heck of a lot easier than some landlords I've known who have tenants who skip out without paying rent and with their minimum wage jobs, well the landlord can't get blood out of a stone.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name