Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

landlord liable if contractor has no insurance to tenants personal property?

Posted by Teresa on June 24, 1997 at 20:14:45:

My landlord hired a flake to paint the house I am renting. When he painted he managed to get overspray all over my $30K car! I even moved it everytime he said he was going to paint.

Now this jerk doesn't have to have a license to paint in the state of Kansas of the County of Lyon. He isn't even required to have insurance.

When I called him he said he did and finally after the run around comes to find out he doesn't. Called the LL, she said she is not responsible. She has about 14 of these dumps....

Found out her rentor dwelling insurance would pay for it, but would have to prove she is negligant. How can I do this?

Could she be negligant by not asking for proof of the person she hired to contract the job?

Also when I rented this house in March, I told her the garage door did not work and I wanted it fixed. She replied she could take the garage door off. Great! I said.....and also I did rent this house with a garage with a door to protect my vehicle. She still has not fixed it with many other things.

Could she possibly be negligant by not having the garage fixed....really, I can't get it opened!....if it had been fixed my vehicle would have been in the garage with the door closed. By the way...she didn't hire him to paint the garage, only the trim and windows on the house.

Also, my lease was supposed to be for 6 months from March 1. Even though it is circled 6 months it is written July 31, 1997. Which is the right date. I have given her over a 30 day notice to get out of this hell hole! And since says July 31, and I gave her a notice of July 31 move out date on June 11, will I get my deposit back? I think I should, but I can tell by this LL we will be in small claims court.

Please email or post a message. I need help badly on this matter. I have researched the net for 2 days and still cannot find anything pertaining to when a LL hires an uninsured contractor.

Thanking you in advance,

Tiszy

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name