Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

help with breaking a NYC lease

Posted by Jack on February 25, 2002 at 14:56:34:

Could anyone please point me to a resource for rentor's rights in NYC wtih regard to breaking a lease? My wife and I were renting an apartment in Brooklyn and had 5 months left on the lease when we had to move. We gave notice to our landlord, who said he would not allow us to break the lease, but would let us off the hook as soon as he found new tenants for the apartment. We have now paid 2 months rent since leaving the apartment, and the landlord still has not found tenants to replace us, but we feel he is not making a good faith effort to do so-- he is not advertising the apartment, and will not allow us to do so either, as he wants to be very "choosy" about whom he considers. Our lease has no provision about breaking the lease, but the broker told us (word of mouth) that we would have no problem doing so as long as we gave 30 days notice. It has now been more than
90 days since we first gave notice, but the landlord expects us to keep paying for an appartment we aren't living in! What are our rights? Thank you for any help...

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name