Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Lanlord Entered Without My Permission

Posted by BB on February 23, 2002 at 12:23:26:

In Reply to: Lanlord Entered Without My Permission posted by Crystal on February 18, 2002 at 02:26:10:

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know Iowa laws...But I would file a complaint with your local Police Dept. I am not sure exactly what the crime is, maybe "unlawful entry"?, "invasion of privacy"? Anyways, the police Dept. should be able to help you...It is important to have the complaint filed, because if he does it again (call 911 on the spot!), you may be able to get a restraining order.
After filing the complaint, I would also send him a letter (via cert. of mailing) letting him know that his actions were unlawful and violated your human and tenant rights. Quote whatever laws you can. Let him know that he is NOT authorized to enter your apartment without 24hrs WRITTEN notice (as prescribed by law). Let him know that you would be happy to comply with reasonable requests (such as turning down your music), but the manner to go about is to simply knock on your door or leave you a vmail, etc...Be factual, to the point and do not sound antagonistic. Start the letter with the phrase " I am writing the following in an effort to maintain that I am a good and responsible tenant."
As for suing him, I'm not sure what your grounds would be. Did you experience damages that can be documented? Did the unplugging of the power bars cause your computer to malfunction or your speakers to blow? Did you have to get it repaired? Basically you need receipts to document loss. If you have any of those, then include the breakdown in your letter and inform that you will be deducting it from the rent. Of course he won't be happy with that and may sue you for non payment. At that point you can use the complaint and receipts as a part of your counterclaim.
I included some links I found on the net, that give you some insight into Iowa Tenant Rights:

http://www.legis.state.ia.us/IACODE/1999SUPPLEMENT/562A/
http://www.ohiolandlordtenant.com/iowa.html
http://www.ocass.iastate.edu/landlord.tenant%20laws.htm

Best of luck!

: I was at home with the computer playing music - yes it may have been too loud(not the point!) I was taking a shower and heard someone banging on the door - next thing I know there is someone in my appartment screaming and yelling about my music. I am scared to death - next thing I know he is in the bathroom yelling - I look out and it is my landlord - he continues to yell at me cussing and all - I politely asked him to leave - needless to say I am scared to death because all that seperated us was a shower curtain! After he left the bathroom and I finished - When I came out he was still there and had turned the power off to the powerstrip for my PC and unplugged the power strip to my tv. What can I do? I know his actions were unlawful - but can I sue or what? He really did scare me and I don't know how much of my other personal property he touched and I don't know if he saw me naked when I looked out from behind the shower curtain. I live in Iowa and I know he code here says LL must provide 24 hours notice unless it is an emergency - I don't think my music was an emergency.

: crystal

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name