Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Month-by-month eviction

Posted by Ross Kingsley on January 09, 2002 at 11:34:30:

Hi.

I live in Cortland, NY and I lost my job back in June. I moved from another town to Cortland in October on a month-by-month basis. My unemployment ran out in December and I just went to social services to get assistance. I notified my landlords of this because among other things I need a landlord statement. They told me that I have to move out because they didn't take Social Services and SS pays too little. I explained that I would pay the difference out of my taxes which should be here the first week of February. They still wanted none of it and told me to get out. So, since I have absolutely no place else to go, I got mad, yelled 'F*** YOU' and hung up.

What I want to know is how long do I have? I read that the law says that they have to tell me by the end of January if they want me out by March 1st. Is that true? Do I have any legal ground to delay the inevitable eviction? I need time to get my taxes, get a job and save enough to move, but I am pretty worried here. Where I'm living isn't rent-controlled, BTW. It's just a small apartment with furnished lights and heat.

This all makes me very angry because I am basically being evicted because I have to go on SS. Please let me know? Thanks so much.

Ross.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name