Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Month-by-month eviction - an actual answer....

Posted by me again on January 10, 2002 at 18:06:14:

In Reply to: Month-by-month eviction posted by Ross Kingsley on January 09, 2002 at 11:34:30:

: What I want to know is how long do I have? I read that the law says that they have to tell me by the end of January if they want me out by March 1st. Is that true? Do I have any legal ground to delay the inevitable eviction? I need time to get my taxes, get a job and save enough to move, but I am pretty worried here. Where I'm living isn't rent-controlled, BTW. It's just a small apartment with furnished lights and heat.

as far as the required notice, you are correct, if they want you out by march 1, they have to give you WRITTEN NOTICE 30 days before that, being that february is a short month, count the days to be sure.
as far as getting evicted, yes, it will probably happen, and it may take sometime. sometimes only a few weeks, sometimes a few months.
you'll want to check your lease agreement (if there is one) regarding 'holdover' rent, it may be substantial and change your mind.
as far as legal grounds to 'stay' the eviction, you may get some time, but don't count on it.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name