Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

How do you know which are which?

Posted by Charlotte on October 30, 2001 at 16:06:00:

In Reply to: Re: Rent controlled apartments: Already taken posted by Lilly on October 30, 2001 at 15:59:12:

Do you mean that there are 3 rent control apartments for rent? Or that three lucky people are living in them?

If they are all in the same building, do the rent control apartments look any different (or how do you know which ones they are???)? Could you and the rent control person have the same size apartment and still you pay different rents b/c yours isn't controlled?

That's what I can't figure out -- it's all well to have rent control, but only if we can all share. Otherwise, I'm beginning to feel a lot of sour grapes.

But it's still so unfair. I wouldn't apply for public housing b/c I don't think that I'm needy (well, of anything other than a roof over my head) and some people don't seem to be able to have even a small job (drugs, looking after grandkids, etc.). Plus, public housing is just not safe when it's high rises and I'd worry about safety. But it's that, rent control, or spending all your time driving.

And who lives in an apartment anyway for more than a few years? If you are going to live somewhere for 60 years, wouldn't you be better off buying?

This place is crazy, makes no sense.

: So Provost, you finally show your true colors! You are in fact a landlord!! haha!

: A miniscule number of apartments have rents that low, landlords can raise the rents as long as the premises are kept up, etc.

: No one is forcing a person to buy a building with rent controlled apartments in it. In my building with 46 apartments the turover has been so great in the past 10 years that there are exactly 3 rent controlled apartments left.

: Within 10 years there won't be any rent controlled apartments left, so be paitent....

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name