Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Sublet and Broker Fee

Posted by trent on October 01, 2001 at 17:43:20:

Here is my situation. I am subletting from a tenant whose lease runs out the end of this month. Apparently the sublet is illegal because she did not inform the mananagment company becase when she brought the subject up before they said that the subletter would have to pay an increased rent. Anyway, I contacted the management company to see if i can sign a new lease. they responsed by saying the current tenant is in default of their lease and that I can apply for the apartment but must pay the increased rent(no problem with that) but also the 15% brokers fee. they also have a brokers license.

First is the this legal to charge the brokers fee even if they do nothing. i am in the apartment already albeit it is an illegal sublet. they will not budge on the fee.

Second what are my rights if i just stay and continue to pay rent with the increase. I am tempted to just send the management company a check for the increased rent and see if they cash it to accept me as a tenant. Am i afforded the same eviction rights and procedures even if i am not a legal sublet?

please respond!! I am due to be kicked out this month. it is a rent stabilized apartment on the Upper west side.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name