Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

How to pursue this?

Posted by Steve on August 25, 2001 at 02:07:07:

A friend of mine... a single mom with two kids (and a deadbeat dad)... moved into a Henry St (Brooklyn) brownstone undergoing renovation about eight months ago. "Undergoing" is probably the wrong word. It appears to have stopped midstream. The place is a sty: doors falling off hinges, exposed electrical, tub that won't drain, no heat. It was rented to her as a 2BR, even though one of those BRs is just an ante room with no window. The ceiling fell in last month after a pipe broke and she paid to have it replaced. But first:

She was given a standard form lease: $1700/mo. Listed as "landlord" is the landlord's daughter. Signing the lease was the landlord's son. I learned tonight that she may actually be in a stabilized building. She says that her upstairs neighbor is stabilized so she has to be too. Furthermore, the previous tenant paid only $1200/mo before leaving on account of the heat problems.

How do I determine her stabilization status and to whom should these things be reported?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name