Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: How to pursue this?

Posted by me on August 28, 2001 at 10:54:58:

In Reply to: How to pursue this? posted by Steve on August 25, 2001 at 02:07:07:

Two methods (at least) for finding out if its stabilized. First there is a database in this website, I believe. But whatever that says, call the DHCR and give them your address. They can mail to you info indicating if it ever was stabilized. You can ascertain if it was ever legally un-stabilized.
Generally it is stabilized if it is six apts. or more. But there are exceptions.
I used to live in that neighborhood. Brownstone. Four apartments, but one was rent controlled under some old law or exception to the law. However, mine was legally non-stabilized.

: A friend of mine... a single mom with two kids (and a deadbeat dad)... moved into a Henry St (Brooklyn) brownstone undergoing renovation about eight months ago. "Undergoing" is probably the wrong word. It appears to have stopped midstream. The place is a sty: doors falling off hinges, exposed electrical, tub that won't drain, no heat. It was rented to her as a 2BR, even though one of those BRs is just an ante room with no window. The ceiling fell in last month after a pipe broke and she paid to have it replaced. But first:

: She was given a standard form lease: $1700/mo. Listed as "landlord" is the landlord's daughter. Signing the lease was the landlord's son. I learned tonight that she may actually be in a stabilized building. She says that her upstairs neighbor is stabilized so she has to be too. Furthermore, the previous tenant paid only $1200/mo before leaving on account of the heat problems.

: How do I determine her stabilization status and to whom should these things be reported?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name