Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

LL Threw Out My Posessions...Need Advice

Posted by Dee on August 13, 2001 at 11:30:14:

(basic info: Brooklyn, NY, written lease for a 30 unit loft rehab, just a rental, not co-op or condo, not rent stabalized or controlled.)

Hello,
My fiance and I recently moved out of our legally-leased loft 45 days early. We were fully paid up to the end of the lease, since our landlord agreed to use our security deposit as our last month's rent. (He had already seen the loft and agreed there was no damage.) Since we effectively had 2 apartments for the month of July, we took our time moving the last of our things. I even made sure to mention to the landlord over the phone that we weren't abandoning any posessions left at the loft - we were going to come back for them.

Well, when we returned for our things, a full week before the end of our lease, the apartment was empty. (and the lights were all on, which explains my $95 electric bill) Later we were told the super had moved everything to a locked room in the basement. Two weeks later, when the super finally permitted us access to the room, we learned that only 4 of about 20 things were there. One item, a radio, was actually in the super's apartment! We're livid because alot of these items are irreplaceable - like the leaves to our antique dining room table.

When confronted about the missing stuff, the landlord told us it was "crappy." We want to take him to court. How do we begin? Do we need to file a police report, since in effect, he entered our apartment and removed our posessions? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Dee

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name