Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord's Right to Access In Response to MARI

Posted by BMcD on August 06, 2001 at 10:39:54:

In Reply to: Re: Landlord's Right to Access posted by mari on August 01, 2001 at 16:54:12:

Thanks for your post. It is always confusing for me because I am never sure which laws apply to me since this is a 2 fam private house.

The LL is coming in to shut off the heat in winter or just nosey my business when I'm not home. A couple of times he tampered with some of my personal property, moving it around, going through drawers, etc.

Problem is if no one's home we can't concretely prove that the LL is doing this in a court of law. But we can ask the LL to not come in without notice. And if we can prove that the LL was here, seen here, whatever, used his key to get in when we weren't home and there was no major emergency and we weren't given notice, we may at least be able to start a log and do the harassment/restraining order thing.

I am looking for a new apt. anyway because I don't like paying rent to someone who can't respect my privacy. But I wanted to know what the law was and if it applied to me.

Thank you for your input, and thanks to the other posters.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name