Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

My Scary Staircase

Posted by Minty on July 31, 2001 at 18:09:36:

(three unit residential building, Williamsburg, Brooklyn)

A while back I posted about my deteriorating staircase. This is a ramp-like set of stairs leading to the 3rd floor, in the hallway (they are not in the apartment). I am not an architect, so I don't know what kind of support they have underneath.

Well, they haven't improved with age. Whenever I am carrying something heavy, they buckle, and I fear they will one day separate from the wall. I do not plan to renew my lease in a few months, but I do own both a stove and a sofa bad couch, both of which are very heavy. I would be sick if an accident happened...for instance, if a mover was carting the stove down each step with a handtruck, and the force caused the whole thing to collapse.

I have called the management company several times about this, Their response is of course, "what's wrong with them?" When I explain, they reply, "but are they broken?" (So much for prevention.) I "offered" to have a city inspector visit, and this made the management guy nervous. He said HE would look at it. Well, this didn't even happen.

I filed a complaint with the DOB, through the Central Complaint hotline, because I was told I had to file a complaint to get an inspector. Then, I made an appointment for a borough inspector, which is to happen next week. In the meantime, I suspect the Central Complaint people may have contacted my LL, since I received a message from my roommate that "two hostile Hasidim were looking for you today (Please no flames about this - as far as I'm concerned, my ex-Christian fundamentalist LL was just as hostile. It's a Williamsburg thing.)."

Great.

I'm really trying to do this by the book. I just want to know if I'm in any danger. Am I going about this in the right way?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name