Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: My Scary Staircase

Posted by Jane on July 31, 2001 at 21:33:32:

In Reply to: My Scary Staircase posted by Minty on July 31, 2001 at 18:09:36:

: I filed a complaint with the DOB, through the Central Complaint hotline, because I was told I had to file a complaint to get an inspector. Then, I made an appointment for a borough inspector, which is to happen next week. In the meantime, I suspect the Central Complaint people may have contacted my LL, since I received a message from my roommate that "two hostile Hasidim were looking for you today (Please no flames about this - as far as I'm concerned, my ex-Christian fundamentalist LL was just as hostile. It's a Williamsburg thing.)."

: Great.

: I'm really trying to do this by the book. I just want to know if I'm in any danger. Am I going about this in the right way?

Yes, you're doing it right. Danger? depends how psycho your landlord is.

When you call Central Complaints, CC sends you a notice that they have received your complaint: read it: it says right on it that a copy of the complaint notice was mailed to your landlord at the address listed. Keep that notice with you at all times: call 911 if the landlord sends goons again: show it to the cops.

Next steps: CC sends complaint to apporpriate agency (actually, they usually send it to HPD, no matter who it really should go to). Inspector shows up unannouced; no one's home to let him in; he leaves a notice near your mailbox; landlord removes it hoping that's the end; HPD sends follow-up letter 'we were here, you weren't, call special number if the problem is still a problem; you call: now you get to make a real appointment for all day/ only am/ only pm. They inspect, write a lot of fire-code violations, maybe write the problem up.....

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name