Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Apt Share

Posted by Apt Share Question on July 10, 2001 at 17:13:58:

My new roommate is moving in with me in a month. I am the only person on the lease and the landlord doesn't want to know about me sharing/subleting the apt (but suggested that it would be wise to share the cost, off the record of course). Someone told me I can have one extra person living with me, so I don't think this would be a problem. I am not overcharging her since I am paying more than half the rent given that my room is bigger. What steps should I take in creating a lease between my friend and me? Can I just use a standard sublet agreement that says my roommate is bound by the same lease I am? Also, I put down a substantial amount of money to secure the apt since I didn't have a guarantor. So, I want to request 2-3 months deposit. Would that be considered excessive? also, would it be necessary to do a background check/credit check since I don't know her that well (assuming I am getting the 2-3 months security)? if so, where can I get one done and who usually pay for the cost?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name