Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Apt Share

Posted by Provost on July 10, 2001 at 18:01:24:

In Reply to: Apt Share posted by Apt Share Question on July 10, 2001 at 17:13:58:

A roommate is different from a sublet. Don't use a sublet agreement if what you are getting is a roommate.

If you have a rent-stabilized apartment, you can only charge your roommate their proportional share of the rent - 50% if its just the two of you. If you have a free market apartment, you can charge whatever you want.

Common sense would be to create an agreement, listing the duration of the roommate arrangement, how much is to be paid and when, how you will take care of other expenses (utilities, food, etc). Also consider what will happen if one or the other of you needs to move out for whatever reason.

The more you cover the fewer problems you will encounter later on.

: My new roommate is moving in with me in a month. I am the only person on the lease and the landlord doesn't want to know about me sharing/subleting the apt (but suggested that it would be wise to share the cost, off the record of course). Someone told me I can have one extra person living with me, so I don't think this would be a problem. I am not overcharging her since I am paying more than half the rent given that my room is bigger. What steps should I take in creating a lease between my friend and me? Can I just use a standard sublet agreement that says my roommate is bound by the same lease I am? Also, I put down a substantial amount of money to secure the apt since I didn't have a guarantor. So, I want to request 2-3 months deposit. Would that be considered excessive? also, would it be necessary to do a background check/credit check since I don't know her that well (assuming I am getting the 2-3 months security)? if so, where can I get one done and who usually pay for the cost?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name