Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent Stabilization in co-op bldgs

Posted by JJ on March 27, 2001 at 01:08:08:

In Reply to: Rent Stabilization posted by Angela on March 24, 2001 at 22:58:35:

: Hello! I've posted a question earlier about Pet Law and Rent Stabilization. Now I have another question. I searched the Rent Stabilization database here on Tenant.Net and it gave me that my building (Brooklyn, 6 store building) has rent stabilization units and also some co-op apartments.

Also check the current database at http://housingnyc.com/
click on 'email of the week' then 'is my apt stabilized?'

: My question is can it be that some apartments are stabilize and some not (I do not talk about co-op but management apartments, as mine is) or should I assume that if building is rent stabilize then ALL apartments (under the management) are rent stabilize????

If you had used the search thing on this page for [coop] or [co-op], you would have the answer...

here's one from an Anna post:
In a non-eviction plan, a co-op can be declared effective with only 15% of the shares
allocated to the apartments purchased by 'bona fide purchasers' which means people
who live in or intend to live in the apartment. In an eight-unit building, this could be
1.2 units or if they use shares or square feet, 1 larger-than-average unit. Once
converted, all previously occupied rent stabilized or controlled apartments remain
regulated only until the conversion tenant vacates: then they become free-market
apartments. Call or go to the Office of the Attorney General, Real Estate Financing
Bureau to find the status of any building's co-op conversion. There is some general
information online, but no building-specific data:
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/realestate/realestate.html

: Also do you know how to find out the year when building was built?

The only date that counts is 1/1/74; if it was built before that and has or used to have, 6 units, all units were stabilized or conrolled at some time. It doesn't really matter whether the building was built in 1870 or 1940! If your building looks like it could have been built in the 70's or later (and very few small bldgs were!), go to your bourough's Dept of Buildings. There is no online source, yet.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name