Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Shady landlord in Greater Boston area

Posted by Todd Palino on February 18, 2001 at 14:37:09:

In Reply to: Re: Shady landlord in Greater Boston area posted by Renee on February 18, 2001 at 08:29:53:

: It sounds and looks horrible. So why did you take it to begin with? Did you think this frog would turn into a prince? Never happens. I just can't begin to understand why someone would accept such a place, sign a contract and then complain about it!!!

1) I didn't know about the extent of the problems until now. Initially, I thought that this was just an old house, and there were
a few issues like the settling wall (which I didn't know was water damage) and the sticky kitchen door. It was only after living here
for a while that I found the rest of the problems, and only until I investigated those that I found the lead paint and foundation problems. If I had known about those problems beforehand, I would never have signed a lease.

2) The rental market in Boston is very tight. Places that are pet friendly disappear from the market almost instantly. I counted myself lucky to see the listing for this place as soon as it came up. Heck, I was even trying to find a place to buy up here, and I was having problems with HOA restrictions and finding a place within my price range.

3) As far as why I stayed this long, it goes back to the rental market. I only just now found somewhere for us to move to.

:Be careful what you place on your website so it cannot be used as fodder for a slander lawsuit. Its bad enough that you've had the problems you've already had with him. It serves no purpose to drag it out even farther.

Yup, I'm very aware of this. First off, it's libel (since slander is spoken and libel is written). Second off, he'd have to prove that 1) it's not true, and 2) it wasn't clear that it was my opinion. I've been very careful on the website to mark at the bottom of every page that everything is my opinion, and I've additionally noted it on things like the Problems page. I know the difference between "This is a code violation" and "It's my opinion that this is a code violation".

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name