Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: What did you learn from all this ?

Posted by Todd Palino on February 20, 2001 at 08:10:48:

In Reply to: Re: What did you learn from all this ? posted by Renee on February 20, 2001 at 07:19:11:

: The lead issue: Any and I mean any home built before 1978 has lead in it. That is a fact of life. They can try to abate it as much as they can, but it will still be there. Just the act of trying to remove it - spreads it. Soil is often the worst contaminant. Often it is the result of lead abatement procedures on the exterior of the homes, but more often than not it is the result of industrial pollutants that have been allowed to escape from smokestacks for years. This airborne pollution can be carried for great distances and will be our legacy longer than you or I will be on earth.

Oh, I know. I'm not so much concerned that it's there as I am that he seems to have used an interim control (painting over it) and not told anyone (or hasn't done the proper discovery. I think lead inspections are mandatory for a building like this, but I'm not sure) and that it's flaking and turning to dust. I don't even have that much of a problem with interim controls, as long as they're done properly. But we're getting into spring soon, and I would have been opening the bedroom windows at night for a little air, not knowing that I was getting a lungful of lead paint dust as well.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name