Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord's deal or court date?? What should we choose?

Posted by Tramar on February 07, 2001 at 20:17:34:

Hi, Tenant.net. My fiance and I have a case of succession rights against our landlord. My fiance moved in with her great aunt since 1996 because her sickness. Her aunt passed in May 2000 from cancer.

Now the landlord is disputing the fact that she has succession rights. Here is the deal. The landlord wants to move us to another apartment in the building for $850 (the market value is allegedly $1000)a month. The apartment is a little smaller but everything is pretty much new (floors, cabinets, etc.) The apartment we are in now is $324 ($1100 market value if fully renovated) a month rent controlled from her aunt's residency but very old and needs some work. The landlord has been dragging this out for over 5 months and admitted today at the deposition that he will only correct what the City has deemed a violation or hazardous and nothing more. Should we even negotiate with him or take it to the court? Our lawyer says that we have a pretty strong case but he has lost better cases than ours and has won better cases. The $324 apartment needs some work but if repairs are corrected, it will be liveable but not as nice as we want. However, the $850 ($50 more than we really can pay) is new and a little smaller.

Can anyone give some solid advice? We will be meeting with them again. Thanks in advance.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name