Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: I care

Posted by Renee on January 04, 2001 at 05:35:12:

In Reply to: Re: I care posted by Julie on January 03, 2001 at 06:31:59:

Reading your post, I am sure that inspector would shut him down. Septic is a health issue of importance not only to you but to the community since it causes bacterial runoff to enter lakes and rivers. It is a big problem in rural communities served by septic systems. The heat is a serious habitability issue. Most state laws require that each room has adequate heat to reach a certain temperature (usually 68 or 70 degrees). If he has ignored these problems for a year, don't think he will do a thing about it now. Its probably been going on since he had the place and he has no intention of bringing it up to snuff. These are serious problems that if he had any decency, he would have repaired a long time ago.

You can call in the inspector if you want to retaliate against him. They will probably deem the place uninhabitable and you will have to move. Problem is - it really isn't a good solution for you. As much as it is pain to have to move again, I see no other alternative for you if you want decent housing. I would persue the inspection and get as much documentation as you can, however. The reason for this is that he sounds like a scummy landlord and you may have to fight for your security deposit. If he is low on funds, he won't be able to repair the place anyways. A septic could cost $10,000. If you want to give yourself time until spring - stagger use of septic (washings, showers, dishes).

The furnace: Is it an older home? One story or two? Are there ducts on the first floor but not on the second? I may be wrong, but I am picturing an older home that has vents to the first floor but not the second. They used to have a grate in the ceiling of the first floor to allow heat to pass to the second since heat rises. To install ducts on the first floor should be a relatively inexpensive thing for your LL to do. The second floor would be a nightmare in an existing home, but not impossible, though costly. I don't recommend kerosene or small electric heaters, but they have small electric or gas space heaters that can be installed (they are permanent - costs about $1500) and if installed in a central location can have vents open into several rooms. Point is - it is not impossible. A fireplace is not an efficient method of heat. It usually pulls more air out of the home than it provides in heat. I would cover the face of the fireplace and you will find it warmer just by stopping that heat loss. PLEASE - get a carbon monxide detector and a smoke alarm (Walmart had a new co detector for $19 recently) until you decide what to do. I am sorry to say that I think your only choice is to find a better place. When you are looking keep in mind that whatever the place is when you are looking at it - it will never be better than this. The LL has fixed it up all he's going to to get it rented. He will do nothing more!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name