Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: I care

Posted by Julie on January 03, 2001 at 06:31:59:

In Reply to: Re: I care posted by Renee on January 03, 2001 at 05:17:25:

::If you look down below in the posts, you will see my original post entitled repair problems. If the LL does not wish to repair the chimney, that is just fine and dandy, but he needs to hook duct work up from the furnace to the registers so that the heat is being distributed properly. As it stands now, the heat just blows out into the basement, directly from the furnace. There is also a problem with the septic, the LL is also aware of this. I am in NY State but quite a distance from NYC. This is a very small rural community in Otsego County. Not far from Cooperstown, which I am sure you have heard of. There is no lease, we rent month to month and have been in this residence for only a year. I do appreciate your thoughts and any advice that you may have. Thanks again.---Julie

: Julie - you are absolutely right in that you can be evicted for non-payment and it will be on your credit report for 10 years to haunt you. Don't know what state you are in. Some states do provide for a tenant to withold rent payment, but you must follow procedure. Most often it involves having the rent money held in an escrow account by a third party facilitator such as an attorney. Check your state laws. There are several sites that have links to state law including www.rhol.com or www.tenantsunion.org. I did not search to find the nature of your problems. If they are a hazard, protect yourself first (smoke alarms, co detector) and then call in the inspector. Of course, once you call in the inspector, it will be all out war you know. If he is cited with thousands of dollars worth of repairs, he may choose to be shut down by the inspectors as uninhabitable (in which case you will be asked to move - quickly).

: I don't know how long you've been there, but the sorry thing is that if he is a landlord that doesn't take care of his place - he just won't take care of his place. I've seen it happen time and time again. No number of inspectors will convince him otherwise. You will move out, he will place and ad and be back in business within the week without making a single repair. If he is a landlord, that is just overwhelmed financially or time wise, there is hope.

: I would write him a nice sincere letter and tell him how much you like the place, except for these problems and unfortunately, you will have to call the inspector to have these serious problems taken care of. If he has any intention of stepping up to the plate, that will get him moving quickly. If he doesn't respond, you know where you stand.

: If you are on a one year lease - I hope its close to the end. If you are on month to month, you can leave at anytime with 30 day notice. Perhaps your best option would be to move to a place where the Landlord does care. You sound like a person that a Landlord would be happy to have as a tenant. Choose your landlord as carefully as you choose the property. It can greatly affect your life for the next year. Good Luck

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name