Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Can landlord sue me in small claims court?

Posted by Liz on December 30, 2000 at 18:15:45:

I moved out of an apartment last month, owing back rent. There were mice in the building and no heater in the apt. so I'd rather not pay the back rent out of principle. I was told that the landlord could sue me for unpaid rent, but in what court exactly? I just found out that corporations cannot use small claims court, which is what this case would be since the amount owed is less than $3,000. The landlord is a corporation. And they couldn't use Housing Court, since I'm no longer a tenant. I got a notice to pay or vacate the premises, after I had moved out.
Is there another court the landlord could hypothetically sue me in, besides small claims court?
Any info would be appreciated, thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name