Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can landlord sue me in small claims court?

Posted by Renee on December 31, 2000 at 14:33:11:

In Reply to: Can landlord sue me in small claims court? posted by Liz on December 30, 2000 at 18:15:45:

Don't know what state you are in - but civil division of the district court would be the next step up. There are proper procedures for doing these things and it doesn't seem that you followed them. You can't just stop paying rent. You might end up with a money judgement on your credit report and that will remain there to haunt you for 10 years. Best bet at this point would be to call LL and see if they would settle for half. If you go to civil court and they bring in their attorney - guess what - you had also better have an attorney. We're talking about $150 per hour and you'd be surprised how fast those hours add up. Just sitting in court waiting for your case to be heard could be 2 hours. They don't want to spend the money on lawyers any more than you do and most LL's will be happy to settle. I think that's the best way to save face, money and your credit history!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name