Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Need Legal advice-No heat or hot water, multiple problems

Posted by Nita on November 27, 2000 at 22:07:32:

OK everyone, this is complicated. I'm on 3rd Avenue in Brooklyn, a heavily industrial area. In September I paid 2 months rent and a brokers fee for what was billed as "living loft space" (even though my unit has 2 distinct bedrooms, kitchen, bath, living room, etc.). Everyone signed Blumberg standard T186 with a rider stating "The space rented is a loft with all laws and provisions pertaining there to", whatever that means since the realtor couldn't provide me with documentation as to what this meant. This space is totally new construction over a garage. Anyway, due to multiple delays in getting the space ready, we were told on 10/27 by the landlord that he wasn't going to change the COO on this space, and that the only way he'd accept us as tenants is if we'd rip up our lease and agree not to give him any problems. We had no where else to go and we had to vacate the apartment we were in, so myself, husband & child moved in on Halloween to an apartment that didn't even have running water. It's been a month now, heat & hot water just got turned on Saturday only to be compromised by a faulty ceiling vent which flooded the heating unit room, which is in my apartment, which in turn flooded my living room. After drying out our unit and thinking everything was OK, I returned home today to no gas service because Keyspan had cut it off from the street for some reason. They needed to gain access to the heating units (within my apartment), but no one from the landlord's office called me, so we are again without heat & hot water until hopefully tomorrow night. This is just part of the horror story that is this money pit. Can anyone give me some valid legal advice, or if there is an attorney out there willing to take this on, please respond. There are four other units in this building, one has a tenant in residence, another unit is supposed to become occupied this weekend. These units haven't even been inspected yet! Please help us.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name