Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

not picking up rent

Posted by lfresh on November 16, 2000 at 17:07:55:

The Land lord bought the building last year. When he bought the building he asked that the tenants pay rent in cash. After the first month, when it took him a month to cash the check, my mother agreed to pay the rent by cash. *By The way this building is in Queens is a 6 family tenement and 2 apartments including mine are rent control.* Last month I told him verbally and wrote a letter to tell him that I could no longer pay by cash and will be paying by check, no response from him. For the six months he personally came to pick up the rent, six months i say because I dealt with him for those six months, because my mother no longer wanted to deal with him so ipersonally handed over the rent. I informed him of when I would be home and except for two occasions, in which he picked up the rent late, there has been no problems. This month he came at the completely wrong time,during that day, i wasn't home my mother was and he usually comes in the evening because i work during the day. He came the next morning concerning some repairs in the building and didn't mention the rent. Yesterday I called about the apartment temperature, he asked me to let him know when it gets too cold(he installed a new digital thermostat in the basement which I don't have access to so i have to call him) he then asked when i planned on paying the rent. I told him the rent is ready and was ready on the 1st. His tone was accusatory like i meant to pay late when i was actually waiting for him.
My question is it my obligation to tell him when to pick up the rent and keep reminding him? I'm just wondering if he is up to something, he has been causing trouble for other tenants. I don't want this situation to turn into Him acusing Me of paying my rent late when he actually picks it up late. Can I get evicted over somethinglike this? Is there a potential problem here? I know he would most definitely like me out because the aprtment is rent control.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name