Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

No flames no hysterics here... When a landlord SNOOPS in your apt unannounced you CHANGE YOUR LOCKS ASAP !!

Posted by the president on November 01, 2000 at 12:13:40:

We were told, by a previous poster, that if you fail to give your door keys to the landlord that you can be evicted. He posted a court case with an index number but failed to provide the link to the case or even a summary of the FACTS of the case. I also saw a lot of flames and hysterics in his post.

You cannot be evicted from an apt if you fail to give a key to a landlord unless you were ordered and directed to do so by a judge or perhaps if your locked door caused a serious loss of property or life after you were told to provide a key and you failed to do so. I am positive that the case he mentioned fell into the areas I mentioned here and in the October Archives.

Until we see the ACTUAL CASE or at least a summary of it, I would change my locks in a heartbeat if I had a snooping landlord going into my apt for no reason except to take a look around.

One other word of advice, if you have a SEGAL deadbolt lock in your apt, take note. When you lock the door, from the inside, if you turn the knob a bit more so that it is on an angle, even if someone HAS A KEY TO YOUR APT they will not be able to open the lock. I would suggest that you get a MEDECO lock with a face plate and a heavy chain and have it all installed by a licensed and bonded locksmith and pay by credit card so that if there is a problem with the work you will have the credit card company fight for you to get it done properly.

DO NOT LIVE IN FEAR !!! STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS !!! DO NOT BECOME THE LANDLORDS WHIPPING POST !!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name