Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Once again, the facts.

Posted by Ken on November 01, 2000 at 20:02:45:

In Reply to: No flames no hysterics here... When a landlord SNOOPS in your apt unannounced you CHANGE YOUR LOCKS ASAP !! posted by the president on November 01, 2000 at 12:13:40:

I'll say it again, I don't understand why someone would respond to a tenant's request for help, and to my factual reply, with insults, doubt and hysterics.

The fact is that a tenant can legally add an additional lock: Section 51-c of the Multiple Dwelling Law gives tenants the right to install an additional lock, of up to 3" diameter, separate and apart from the landlord's lock.

However, removing and replacing the landlord's lock, when the lease forbids modifications to the apartment, is illegal, as has lead to tenants being evicted. One relevant case, which I posted before, is Ritz v. Gagnum, L&T index #91879/97 (November 24, 1997).

These are the legal facts that the tenant needs to be aware of, whatever decision she makes.

Medeco locks, which have a hard to duplicate key, cost several hundred dollars and are intended more for the business market. There are other high security brands available, so if you are buying a lock talk to locksmiths and shop around.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name