Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Please Help with harrasment from neighbors!

Posted by Nelida on September 26, 2000 at 13:50:33:

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment in Queens with my daughter and husband. We don't have a lease because the apartment was taken as is. However we have receipts of paid rent. I've been here 7 yrs and am so ready to move due to inconsiderate and bossy neighbors. You see the situation is very dificult because, my neighbor is my ex-fiance' and his wife. They moved in right next door to me. Not in the next building but in the apartment next door. First he moved in and lived here a couple of years, then she came when they got married. He said he would move, but never did. This building is a two apartment dwelling and there isn't much space between us to begin with. There were agreements set in place, between myself, the Landlord and the ex before he got married regarding things like the cleaning of the shared hallway, etc.

Since he's been married, now 3yrs but living here about 6 years, his wife has slammed doors, written demanding notes, stepped heavily up and down the stairs and in the hallway, as well as blasted her music, whenever she didn't get her way. I didn't and still don't have anything to do with her husband. I believe that it was her way of trying to prove who she thought the better woman was.

Not having been married during that time, the situation made me very angry and nervous. And when I tried to speak to her , she would respond very arrogantly. Now the ex took his apartment on the basis that he would fulfill the responsibilities of super for the building, of which he continues not to fulfill. In fact we can't depend on him for anything and choose not to.

Anyway now for the past two years they've been confrontational again and again with me and my husband, or course only through notes now, about conversations that I thought my husband and I were having privately in our home. She is able to tell us very personal details that lead me to believe, you and your husband are spending too much time at my door or in the hallway listening. In actuality the walls don't seem to have very much between them. Even so I believe its' wrong to listen in on others conversations. I can hear their conversations when passing their door but refuse to listen to what they're talking about. I now have a radio on 24 hrs a day in the kitchen and we also have to put a radio on in the living whenever we want to talk.

I was told that she's not only harassing me but violating my civil rights? First with the demand of their scheduled cleaning of the shared hallway, not the one that was established before she came, and now with the notes of conversations that have been heard. What can I say to them to make them realize that there are other powers that be involved in this situation, if they should choose to continue. Because they seem to believe that the world begins and ends with them.

When I spoke to the Landlord about this situation, he didn't want to get involved and doesn't want to spend any money on the building to possibly resolve the situation. He let me know sadly, that whatever I decided would be fine with him, because I had been such a good tenant and he won't throw me out. He prefers peaceable negotiations between myself and the neighbors, but this doesn't last very long.

We are unable to move at this time and we just want to be left alone at peace until we can. Please help!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name