Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Lease renewal not happening

Posted by ali on June 28, 2000 at 15:37:11:

In Reply to: Lease renewal not happening posted by Mark C on June 28, 2000 at 13:35:49:

: Hey--

: For the last 8 years, I've lived in a sublet co-op apartment in the West Village. I have a lease with the cop-op owner, which is in fact the entity that manages the building and collects rent from the rent-stabalized tenants as well as me.

: The lease is up on June 30th. At the end of May, I called the management firm and was told the rent would jumping up 20%. I began to look for another place to live immediately. Things did not go as well as hoped, so I decided to sign the lease renewal. Except the renewal never arrived. I just called the manangement office today (June 28th) and was told that they're not renewing leases--they plan on furnishing the apartments and charging much much more money than they are now.

: Obviously, I can't stay. But it's two days before the end of my current lease and I have received nothing in writing. My question: can they just kick me out onto the street with no notice because my lease is up?

: Mark

As far as I know, landlords of non-stablized apartments can do whatever they want, but I'm not sure whether they can just kick you out with less than 30 days written notice; check your lease. I also suggest you contact Stanley at the Community Resource Training Center -- a nonprofit tenants' group. He knows a lot and should be able to give you some answers. The phone number is (212) 964-7200.

Keep looking for a new place -- rent-stabilized -- as hard as you can. (You might have to leave Manhattan, given the insane rents. Williamsburg, Brooklyn and parts of Queens are still relatively affordable.) In the meantime, stay put. You could send your landlord the next month's rent -- if they deposit your check, it's a tacit acceptance of you as a tenant, I believe. Or, don't pay the rent -- it takes months to evict a tenant -- no judge will give you less than 30 days to move out. Anyway, they have your security deposit, I assume, so if you skip a month's rent, you're covered (technically, if not legally).

I'm just extricating myself from a situation like yours, so you have my sympathy. It's crazy that landlords can get away with this crap.

Good luck. Call Stanley!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name