Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Lease renewal not happening

Posted by Mark C on June 28, 2000 at 13:35:49:

Hey--

For the last 8 years, I've lived in a sublet co-op apartment in the West Village. I have a lease with the cop-op owner, which is in fact the entity that manages the building and collects rent from the rent-stabalized tenants as well as me.

The lease is up on June 30th. At the end of May, I called the management firm and was told the rent would jumping up 20%. I began to look for another place to live immediately. Things did not go as well as hoped, so I decided to sign the lease renewal. Except the renewal never arrived. I just called the manangement office today (June 28th) and was told that they're not renewing leases--they plan on furnishing the apartments and charging much much more money than they are now.

Obviously, I can't stay. But it's two days before the end of my current lease and I have received nothing in writing. My question: can they just kick me out onto the street with no notice because my lease is up?

Mark

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name