Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Why aren't landlords required to bonded & licensed?

Posted by Just Asking on March 26, 2000 at 04:21:12:

I'm sure this topic has been broached a million times. But I do not understand why the business of renting out apartments does not require licensing, bonding, insuring, required certification classes teaching about landlord laws & responsibilies (especially for private home renters), and strict enforcement of any violations. Like a point system similar to the DMV. I lived on Staten Island for awhile when I was younger & lived in private homes and apartment buildings. Most landlords do not offer security deposits back. Most of their superintendents and landlords freely entered apartments, many of them stole personal property from their tenants. My last look for an apartment just made me hit a brick wall & want to vomit. I had had it with landlords offering me "what horrible tenants" there last tenants were. This particular one (in NJ) explained to me how her tenants had ruined her tiny little house in back, that they had not "mowed the lawn as required in the lease" (it literally consisted of a stone

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name