TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

DHCR Docket # Status Tracker

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

DHCR Docket # Status Tracker

Postby BK_Tenant » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:32 pm

Hi everyone,

Since it's impossible to get specific estimates from the DHCR regarding how much time it will take to receive an initial decision or PAR, I thought it might be useful for those who are currently waiting to receive decisions - and of course those who recently received a decision - to share the first two letters of their docket number and the nature of their complaint. It would help current and prospective renters get a sense of the time involved when using the DHCR. I'll go first:

Docket Code: GU (2018, September)
IAI Rent Overcharge Complaint
BK_Tenant

Re: DHCR Docket # Status Tracker

Postby TenantNet » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:57 pm

Results might be interesting, but in 30 years watching DHCR, it's not uncommon for the agency to take years to make decisions. Indeed, a study by the NYS Assembly Housing Committee (I think it was called "Bleak House" (after the Dickens classic) pointed to just that problem. That was in 1987 and things haven't changed much. That study is on this site ... somewhere.

However I've also seen cases jump the line. If the normal wait is 5 years, I've seen cases being approved in less than 30 days, even before tenants were supposed to have the chance to put in a reply (in that case it was a MCI application).

Even now, in time of COVID, when DHCR offices are supposed to have emptied out, and when the agency has allowed extra time to submit documents of follow-up submissions, I've seen cases decided even when tenants still had time to answer.

The agency has always been corrupt in the manner in which it treats cases (and of course, of tenants).
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: DHCR Docket # Status Tracker

Postby Landlords Boy » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:42 pm

I've got the same issues with DHCR taking its own sweet time to make decisions. But I've never had to wait 5 years for DHCR to take action on an MCI application. And I have no "pull" to make things "jump the line", either.
Landlords Boy

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments