TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord Doesn't Paint or Provide Appliances (?)

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord Doesn't Paint or Provide Appliances (?)

Postby Whataremyrights86 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:25 pm

I have been trying to find out if I have any rights to services provided by my landlord. There are 5 units in the building one of which the landlord lives in.

I was told by landlord that they DO NOT provide: refrigerator or stove and they DO NOT paint. Nor have they really provided anything in the many years I have lived there.

Are there any fact sheets or anywhere you can direct me to see if I have any rights at all in a non-regulated building?

Thank you
Whataremyrights86

Re: Landlord Doesn't Paint or Provide Appliances (?)

Postby TenantNet » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:52 pm

A few things first. You say there are five units. Normally that means the units in the building are not rent stab. But were any of the units combined, i.e., making a 6 unit building into a 5 unit building? If so, there might be an argument the units should be rent stab. You may need to research the building, but if you can get RS status. then there's little question about other services.

Are you in a real apartment with a kitchen, or just a room? If the latter, is the building a SRO?

What does your lease say? Look at the initial lease you had when you moved in.

Do you know if your unit ever did have a stove? Are there signs of capped-off gas pipes? What about places in the kitchen where a stove and refrigerator would fit?

On the painting, the Housing Maintenance Code requires the LL provide painting every three years. Look at the links above for the HMC.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Whataremyrights86 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:07 pm

I don't have a lease. The 5 units are stand alone units. The stove was provided by the previous tenant. I never ask the landlord for anything nor do they ever do anything to improve my space although they are renovating the two apartments directly below me.
Whataremyrights86

Postby TenantNet » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Look at DOB and DOF documents to see if the building previously had 6 units. Many do. So you do have a kitchen with a stove, but it broke? Is that the case? Look at what I said before -- you need to investigate. If the unit was rented with a stove, then the LL must maintain it. If it was there when you moved in that is what matters.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments