TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Please help from landlord from hell!!

Moderator: TenantNet

Please help from landlord from hell!!

Postby NassauRenter » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:27 pm

My wife and I recently moved into the second for apt of a house. The landlord lives downstairs. Things started off fine but within a month of us moving in the landlord would continuously call about everything, from when to take out the trash to when to use the laundry. The landlord would leave 5-6min message on my or my wife's voice mail.
The main problem is the laundry. The landlord had installed a stacked washer and dryer into the kitchen area before we moved in. After we used it she complained that it was to loud and she needed her sleep. So being nice we agreed not to use it until after 1pm and stop before 10pm. She agreed. The next week she complained that 1pm she is still sleeping and made it 2-10pm. Fine... My wife started the washing machine at 2:34pm, the landlord called left a very nasty 6min messaage about how we use the washer to much and that her water bill has double... She then shut the power off to the washing machine and did not turn it back on until 8pm. She also threatened to evict us at the end of the month.

Would like advice on how to solve this problem. Can I refuse rent? Can she really evict us for that and if she gives us an eviction letter can I then refuse rent until she takes us to court.

Please Help I can't handle her!!!!!!!!!
NassauRenter

Postby ronin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:35 pm

I am assuming that this is a private house??? You didn't give a lot of detail.

Was the washing machine etc in the lease?

Without more there's not much to tell you.
ronin

Return to NYS General Discussion