TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

3 Day notice to pay or quit/Now served date

Moderator: TenantNet

3 Day notice to pay or quit/Now served date

Postby PMazz115 » Sun May 09, 2010 5:42 am

I an disabled w/a reg. Service dog. I rented tis apt on 4-1-10. Trouble began right away,kids upstairs pounding on floor,dog scared. Thenn I discovered raw sewage being discharged into the yard's soil, like a broken lietchfield. Smelled like a sewer. I contacted the local health dept. they investigated and deemed this property a "Public Health Violation" I did make an agreement with the landlord that I'd leave the end of May,he'd keep the security for may and i'd go. Well, he renegged. I got a 3 day notice to pay or quit,I didn 't pay and yesterday I'm served w/a court date,he's seeking eviction plus May's rent. I did sign a 6 month lease,I assume he's gunna want the balance too. I'm told once I go to court,the judge can make me leave within 3 days, is that right? That not enough time,but i can leave and go elsewhere the end of the month. I'm thinking i'm going to ask the judge to find the lease null&void because the landlord knew he was discharging this sewage and I believe that directly goes to the degree of warranty of habitability..is this correct and will it work?
Thanks
PMazz115

Postby queensborough » Sun May 09, 2010 7:37 am

If the health department deemed the property a public health violation I would imagine this would be taken into consideration. Do you have any type of documentation from the health department regarding what they found on the property?
queensborough

Return to NYS General Discussion