TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Just given notice for July 31: I'm disabled and broke...

Moderator: TenantNet

Just given notice for July 31: I'm disabled and broke...

Postby supak » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:14 pm

It's a long storyhttp://supak.blogspot.com/2009/01/suffering-police-state-and-ditching-of.html of how we got here, but here we are in a house we've rented since last Aug. 15, now suddenly being told to get out by July 31. We had a one year lease, but because of my disability (not recognized by social security yet--two year wait for an appeal hearing after first denial) and not being able to work, we've really had trouble making ends meet. We got on food stamps and applied for a section 8 from HUD (one year waiting list up in October), but could not pay the rent on time in February. At that time we were told the lease was broken and we were on a month-to-month. But we were told by email that LL would put the official "package" of paperwork saying that in the mail box, which she never did.

In the last couple of weeks, we started getting told they were coming by to inspect the property for potential repairs. I had told them many times about several things that needed fixing, including the fact that our water was so cloudy we couldn't use it for two months this winter, and now suddenly they were concerned about these things, which seemed fishy. When the husband showed up yesterday to finally replace the dehumidifier (after 5 months of him knowing the old one quit), he told me they were going to "show" the place, saying "You know we're going to show the place." When I told him that was the first I heard of it, he went off on me--told me they were under no obligation to tell us anything, and we had a nice little yelling match that ended with me saying we should all do what's legal.

Later that day I got an email saying we had to be out by July 31.

I don't have any money, and we have a lot of stuff. I can't pay movers or rent a truck. With my back, and lack of friends up here, without moving professionals, this is not possible. I was going to have to borrow the 900 for the rent next month... No way can I borrow what it would cost to move, much less put a deposit and first rent down on another place.

What can I do? What happens if I refuse to leave?

This is going to kill me. I've had so much bad luck, and then it just gets worse...
supak

Return to NYS General Discussion