TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

LL Cited For a Bad Leak - Not Enforced by Inspectors 4 + Mos

Moderator: TenantNet

LL Cited For a Bad Leak - Not Enforced by Inspectors 4 + Mos

Postby eleven » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:56 am

I have had a leak in my bathroom that picked up in intensity about 4 months ago. I gave the landlord close to a month before calling code enforcement. This leak actually began over a year ago, but it was small. I had called code enforcement then, and they found it to be in violation, but then when I called 3 months ago I found out it had been closed because the landlord had somehow convinced them it was fixed.

It wasn't. When code enforcement was here 3 months ago they found it to be a violation. I was told he had 1 week to fix it or the landlord would have to explain it to a judge. A month later I call code enforcement and I am told they will have to come back and reinspect it. So I am the one who has to be here and they find the same thing they did the first time. I am then told he has 1 week or he will be given a final notice. Then this week after another month or so has elapsed I call and ask for a supervisor. He says someone will be out the next day at 1 pm. After waiting till 2:30 I am told I will have to reschedule because the code inspector said he was there for 20 minutes and nobody was home. There were 3 people home all day at my place and I have a small apartment, so it would be impossible not to hear someone. Not to mention that I checked every couple minutes outside to see if anyone was in the driveway. This same thing happened several times last year where they didn't show up.

It seems clear that they are not interested in helping a tenant in need. A ceiling tile collapse a little over a week ago and now another is getting there. I was fortunate that 90% of what was going into the bathroom was going into my bathtub, although it was disgusting and filthy every day as a result. A lot has been running down the walls and onto the floor, however, and it is getting worse. The tile that is getting destroyed is right out over the bathroom itself. The floor tiles are being destroyed and the walls are starting to bow from water that has been no doubt going into the walls. In fact, now that I can see into the ceiling I can see that an enormous amount has been going into the wall. I have little black flying insects that are always present coming out of the moisture. It is a mess.

I believe the leak is coming from the shower upstairs because it seems to let loose 4 or 5 times a day and the worst of it up till recently has been over my shower, although the 2nd badly damaged tile might be something different. There are actually about a half a dozen large tiles with at least some water damage.

I just don't know what to do. I don't understand why, at this point, it is my responsibility to be there for the inspectors in the first place. I don't mind, but they seem to be using me as an excuse to do nothing. Seems it should be on the landlord to fix it and prove it's fixed. I have wasted several days having to be home that they don't show up, much less when they do show up and don't do what they say they will. Also, my phone number is at their disposal, so if someone was lost they could have called.

I sent an email letter to the mayor, but that hasn't yet been answered and my confidence is not high. A leak that started out minor has become a big mess all because of lack of enforcement. In fact, I could wind up without a place to live if they actually fully did their job, with a bug problem and all. Seems there has to be a mold problem after all this time as well. All that could have been prevented if either a landlord or code enforcement lived up to their responsibility.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I would have moved long before now, but I can't really haven't been able to afford the expense of it.
eleven

Return to NYS General Discussion