TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Former Landlord Threatening to Sue

Moderator: TenantNet

Former Landlord Threatening to Sue

Postby Disgusted » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:35 pm

After nine years of renting a private condo, and paying my rent on time, on my own will I recently moved. Nine years ago I paid a security deposit of $850 and gave notice in May that I would be vacating July 15. I was told "remember your security".

The condition of the condo when I moved in was poor. It required a thorough painting and cleaning. The landlord paid for the carpets to be cleaned. I did everything else.

For nine years, I paid my rent exactly on time. I called for any repairs that were required and more often then not had to facilitate them on my own, which I did. For example, when the water heater went, I was given a box of tiles to replace the floor in the laundry room.

The landlord visited the condo early in June with the real estate, they surveyed the place and no talk about damage was made. I left the apartment on the 15th and returned the keys on the 16th. The owner called me on the 20th and said she was "appalled" at the condition of the apartment. Specificially she indicated that there was writing on the smaller bedroom wall, which I have a witness that will agree that I told her about and she said not to worry she was painting anyway, there was a hole the size of a fist in the same room on the outside wall that had water damage, and a bbq inadvertently left on the deck.

The landlord further indicated that I did not pay for July ($1035 rent) and that she is taking me to small claims court. My understanding was that I was living out my security and that she was getting the better end of the deal. I never even thought of asking the balance back b/c it wasn't that kind of relationship.

For the first five or so years, I had leases, I have not had a lease in some time.

The floors were vacummed or mopped as necessary, I left window shades and curtains so the apartment would not look empty and even left a shower curtain to cover the shower which was in great disrepair, which was fixed twice to no avail. The carpet showed normal wear and tear off nine years, as did the in the kitchen. All hardware was as left in reasonable condition except again for the usual wear and tear. In fact, an extra air conditioner was left that wasn't there went i rented the apartment

Specifically, please advise if the landlord has a case and what my next step should be. After nine years of praise for being an easy tenant, I am stunned by her accusations and can only attribute them to the fact she is a first time landlord.
Disgusted

Return to NYS General Discussion