TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

No Certificate of Occupancy long term lease and new landlord

Moderator: TenantNet

No Certificate of Occupancy long term lease and new landlord

Postby sflesch » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:21 pm

Well, I have a very unusual case, and I won't go into details, but I need some help. I do have a lawyer who has been really good.
Here are the basics:
1) The landlord I signed the lease with "sold" the building back to the original (who held the mortgage). Legally, it seems the lease stays intact (she did not actually foreclose, but bought the building back)
2) I paid what would technically amount to about 8 years in rent by renovating the apartment I moved into. Labor and materials were to be exchanged for rent per the lease.
3) The landlord had a relative - who was a police sergeant - who call called me and pretty much threatened me. My lawyer doesn't want to go there if possible. I'm thinking of calling the new FBI tip number for "color of Law" violations. She also allowed someone to turn off the water without informing me as she legally should have
4) She recently had the village issue an "Order to Vacate" due to "unsafe conditions" and no C of O.

Finally the question: Is there case law, or even actual RPL that specifically can tell me if no C of O means the Lease is not invalid? I have seen quite a bit online that seems to indicate that, but an RPL section or more specific case would be really helpful.

My lawyer is still working on that, but isn't hopeful right now. He has fought hard and was able to stop the initial eviction because she tried to evict me without actually owning the building.

Thanx,
Sean
sflesch

Return to NYS General Discussion