TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Unfairly large rent Increase on Loft space Williamsburg

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Unfairly large rent Increase on Loft space Williamsburg

Postby stizo141 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:43 pm

I just received a letter stating that I had 2 weeks to comply with a $500 rent increase, a more than 14% increase! My lease is expiring and so they said i have to leave if I dont start paying the increase and sign a new 1 year lease.
What rights do I have to fight the increase? My building supposedly has a certificate of occupancy but when i checked with the Loft Board, only one unit in the building was included, not mine. Its resiedntially zoned but its a warehouse and we did all of the renovations oursleves when we moved in around 8 years ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
stizo141

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Are you rent stab?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby stizo141 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:12 pm

no im not rent stabilized, i wish! what do the unlucky rest of us do in situations like this? im trying to get covered under the loft law. my building has a C of O but not all of the apartments are registered, including mine. i fit the criteria for loft law in that 5 occupants have been living here for over 5 years, ,including during 2008-09, so i think we are technically covered but the landlord got the c of o in 2011 and we never registered with the loft board. thinking of doing that now, since there are more than 3 units that aren;t registered.....any help would be great!
thanks.
stizo141

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:30 pm

I would go to http://nyclofttenants.org and look at the FAQ and First Steps page. It sounds as if you qualify, but I'd go through the steps one-by-one. Have you and the other tenants put together a tenant association and gotten legal advice?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues