TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Eviction Notices ... I need some advice ... HELP!

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Eviction Notices ... I need some advice ... HELP!

Postby pilon1lr » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:46 am

Hopefully someone can help answer some of my questions ...

I live in a Manhattan North Management owned building and have been receiving Eviction notices every 6 months since Fall 2007, but we just received another one this week, only a month after the last one. Our 2 year lease is up in April 2008.

I've been paying my rent directly to them for the last 1.5 years but here's my concern ...

My roommate is the leaseholder and I'm not even on the lease (just have a written lease with her). She claims she's been dealing with this in court for supposed "non-payment" claims and we've won all 3 times prior. She has another court appearance this week except this time the notice didn't say what exactly it was for, except other than to evict us. I'm wondering if she's even paying her share of the rent or if they are trying to evict us because I'm not on the lease but I'm paying my share...what if it's some sort of thing where they assume she's renting for profit or if it's an illegal sublet (it miiiight just be?).

Doe anyone have any suggestions on how I can obtain the information while not being a leaseholder since she has said it's their own errors not ours? I'm wondering if this is our own (or her) error and not theirs ...

I want to do what I can to protect myself before it's too late!
pilon1lr

Postby TenantNet » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:09 am

If there's another court appearance this week, then chances are what you got was not really an eviction notice. You seem to be out of the loop on this, so we can't comment on a case where you know little of the facts.

You can demand your roommate fess up to what's really happening. Ask her to show you the court papers, the petitions and so on. Or you can go to court to see copies.

As a roommate you don't have legal standing to intervene. But you do have a moral right to know what's happening.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby pilon1lr » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:17 am

What she is doing this Friday is filing an Order to Show Cause. I guess the actual hearing will be next week ... or that is what she says.

Another concern that I have is that I did write my check for October rent back on the 1st and we're now on October 23rd and they've yet to even cash my check. This is pretty typical of our landlord.
pilon1lr

Postby TenantNet » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:32 am

Something is odd here. If you are paying the LL by check and if they have been accepting it, you might have some tenancy rights that you might be able to assert. I would check with a lawyer to see what your options are.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues