TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

mitchell llama- noise conflict with shareholder

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

mitchell llama- noise conflict with shareholder

Postby rubykisses » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:09 am

Ok there is a couple that lives downstairs from me who happen to be lesbian. They argue at all types of night and day mostly at 2am, 4am, 11pm. Everytime it goes down I call security and make a complaint about the noise and I don't make it anonymous either they know they loud. This is not once in a while since April I have made 7-8 phone calls,and that is only me alone.

So they don't like that I complain and decide to play on my phone. I got a call about 1am either last monday or the monday before from a female voice acting as if they were security. The call came from the security desk, mind you we don't have female security at all. I was caught off guard. Anyway that same night I wrote a nice detailed letter with dates and times of complaints from me that coordinate with written complaints about their excessive behavior. I copied the Board, Management and left the shareholder a copy on their door that same night.

I put in letter that my confidentiallity was broken when one of them decided to go to the security desk ( which at the time was not covered because dude was running late and that is documented by his job and management) and call me impersonating security. I put in that letter I want an investigation and either fines be given out or the eviction process be started.

I got a rebuttle letter that was full of emotion and no facts. These shareholders went as far a pulling the sexual orientation card and contacting EEO, their Union and even made up a division called the NYC Department of Equal Opportunity Enforcement. They even referenced one situation in which I went downstairs to ask them to keep their guests noise down who was arguing uncontrollabley and lied and said I had SEVERAL MALE FRIENDS COME TO HER DOOR AND ONE OF MY FRIENDS ENTERED HER APARTMENT UNWANTED. If that was the case police would have been called and management would have been notified. I HATE LIARS!! In addition they stated that no other shareholders have ever complained and it is impossible to hear their noise in their apartment because I live above them.

Due to that statement I made a petition that only asks for other if they have witnessed or heard them have constant noise disturbances. Well I got signatures.

I receive an angry etter the day before yesterday from the shareholder stating i am taking it into my own hands and have violated her confidentiality by starting a petition. That I am harrasing them.
So that night I submitted my petition to the board, and management. I put a cover letter with the petition stating this is supporting documentation of their noise disturbances fromo other shareholders. I ask that the signatures remain confidential. I only gave the shareholder I have a problem with the cover letter. SO NOW I GET ANOTHER LETTER FROM HER (mind you two people live there but only one shareholder is doing all the talking). This letter was another angry letter stating i am not authorized to start a petition and they are moving further with a defamation of character suit.

I have been in this building 5 years and never a problem. They have been there maybe going on 2 years My phone complaints are since last year but I only gave the last 6 months because I dont have the previous security number that was used prior.

The management and board are referring this to the co-op attorney because they feel it has gone beyond their control.

Does anyone know what happens next?
rubykisses

Postby TenantNet » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:31 am

Again, this appears to be a co-op situation. Are you or the other residents renting tenants?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby rubykisses » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:38 am

TenantNet wrote:Again, this appears to be a co-op situation. Are you or the other residents renting tenants?

Yep it is a co-op situation. I am a shareholder and the people I am complaining about are shareholders. Well the complaint is against 2 people but only one is responding, so the other person may not be on the lease.
rubykisses

Postby cestmoi123 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:56 pm

Your issue is really a co-op corporate governance issue, not a landlord/tenant issue.

In the extreme, the co-op board could revoke the other couple's proprietary lease and force them to sell, but the conduct has to be pretty egregious, and it'll almost always involve litigation.

As for them sueing you for defamation, they can always sue. I doubt they can win, but they could certainly file, if they wanted to.
cestmoi123

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues